If there is a theme for today’s blog posting, let’s call it: Moments at the Muscatine Community Y.
Earlier in the week, I published a blog post in which I spelled out some fitness goals for February. And then I posted my workout on Wednesday, which consisted of three sets of five repetitions of:
- Barbell squat — 225 pounds.
- Barbell lunge — 85 pounds.
- Dumbbell calf raise — two 50-pound dumbbells.
- Barbell deadlift — 225 pounds.
- Supermans — As many reps as possible for one minute.
- Dumbbell shoulder press — two 50-pound dumbbells.
- Dumbbell front raise — two 20-pound dumbbells.
- Dumbbell lateral raise — two 20-pound dumbbells.
In addition to that workout, I led a full-body resistance-training class and a cycling class on Monday. Tuesday, I attended a cycling class. I skipped the gym on Thursday and led another cycling class on Friday.
Today, I did three sets of eight repetitions of:
- Barbell bench press — 185 pounds.
- Dumbbell incline press –two 50-pound dumbbells.
- Lat pull-downs — 130 pounds.
- Barbell pullovers on bench — 45 pounds.
- Barbell rows — 85 pounds.
- Preacher curls — 60 pounds.
- Curls — two 30-pound dumbbells.
- Dumbbell triceps extension — 50 pounds.
- Triceps kick backs — two 20 pound dumbbells.
- Barbell shrugs — 100 pounds.
In between each set, I jogged for two minutes on an elliptical machine. Oh, and for anyone who is really interested, I’ve eaten somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,300 calories today if my record-keeping is close to accurate.
Sunday, I’ll lead a cycling class.
That’s enough about the real reason I was at the gym, let’s move on to:
- Realizing there is still a speck of orange polish on the nail of my right big toe. It is all that is left over from my toenails, which a friend painted in July for RAGBRAI. For some reason, marking the passing of time by the polish on my toenails planted this song in my head and then this one. I much prefer the latter to the former.
Letting rip with an F-bomb when I dropped my hair clippers on the locker room floor and broke them. Guess I’ll have to wait a day or two to cut my hair. I wonder if anyone will notice. Speaking of which, a wise-ass friend asked the other day what is listed as my hair color on my driver’s license. He wanted to know if “shiny” was an option. But the joke’s on him because I don’t see hair color used as an identifier on an Iowa’s driver’s license.
More reasons to begin counting down days until RAGBRAI: The other day I compared winter in Muscatine with winter in North Dakota. Simply put, there is no comparison.
After reading it, a friend, who does not want to be identified, sent me this. DO NOT click the link if you are offended by bad language or are a native North Dakotan without a sense of humor.